On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 9:12:17 -0400, Kee Hinckley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >people who blindly assumed that everyone in the message was guilty. Among >other things, I regularly get spam reports concerning messages that have text >like: > > Enter your email address here in the following form: [EMAIL PROTECTED]'. > >Unfortunately either too many people don't pay attention to what addresses >are being sent complaints, or SpamCop's text doesn't explain *why* they are >being sent complaints. Having never been a SpamCop customer, I don't know >the answer. But from a recipient's point of view, it certainly gives the >impression that SpamCop just automatically nails everyone in the message. > >I have spoken to the person who reported the spam--it was Earthspirit's >postmaster. He didn't notice that SpamCop had singled out Earthspirit as a >guilty party. > >And obviously the ISP should be shot for shutting down a site based on one >spam report, which they didn't even bother to read. > >Spam reports are a loaded gun--people should be encouraged to take more care >with them. SpamCop handles over 100,000 reports a day (from what I can tell) Indeed SpamCop accepts reports from anyone (even me), as long as what is sent is *spam*. With penalties imposed on those who abuse it (this does happen) and are reported which can be a fine and or being banned It is but a tool, I see can actually help an abuse desk. by being able to be turned off (stop reports being sent) declaring "joe jobs" as innocent bystanders, and allowing it to be completely turned off and or sent to special email addresses (It is a continuous improvement phase all the time) Any abuse report is a loaded gun, with or without SpamCop Although some abuse desks have problems with similar claims to what you made. but I would like to see evidence that they had even bothered to read the spam report and try the features SpamCop offers an abuse desk I find those that have actually worked out how SpamCop works, prefer it to be used,with many ISPS actually asking for one to use it (It saves them time) Some mail managers have problems with the way SpamCop removes the "To:" address out but they can reply directly to the poster and ask for it (this may or may not be given). As all reports, aside from a convenient web page URL link (That allow report to quickly be marked, Innocent, Resolved, etc.) have an email address which will allow SpamCop to forward these concerns to the poster Petzl [Nothing official, just another SpamCop user] These messages are only the opinion of the poster,are no substitute for your own research _______________________________________________ SpamCop-Help mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help
