This will sound strange after all the "Suggesting" I've done recently but...
:-)

I think Sam's idea/concept for SpamDyke, if I understand it correctly, is
ideal.  Make something that is easy to install, adds functionality to a
basic Qmail install without a lot of patching.  I think having a completely
STOCK qmail install, adding something like SpamDyke that can do all the
filtering in front of qmail, would make the complete package better.  Face
it, a lot of people don't use qmail because they are scared of all the
patches, and the fact that it isn't "Maintained", which, is actually kind of
funny..They consider postfix "Maintained" because it gets occassional
updates...Yet, even with things like SpamDyke and the various patches/smtp
additions, the don't consider Qmail "Updated", because the auther isn't
bundling the changes himself...

Anyway...  Most people tha run Qmail are likely running, netqmail, qmail
with jms's patchs, or qmailrocks, or a stock qmail.  Those with jms's
patches and netqmail have most of what's built into SpamDyke, by
modifying/changing the smtp to rblsmtp, as I understand it.  So, instead of
an outside application doing that scanning and handing it off to an smtp
daemon to process, the smtp daemon does the processing...Not sure which is
better.

Qmailrocks has it's downsides, so in that case, SpamDyke definetely adds
some much needed additions, and makes them easy to implement.  Obviously,
with a stock qmail install, this is also true.

So, who is SpamDyke *REALLY* geared towards?  Not a retorical question, I'm
actually curious.  I've found it very helpful and very effective.  As I dig
beyond "Qmailrocks" into other variations of installing qmail, I'm finding
most of SpamDykes functions, or at least the ones I'm using, implemented
directly in Qmail via patches.  Perhaps avoiding the patches is the benefit.
How often do we really upgrade the core functionality of qmail...The stuff
that would need to be recompiled should we upgrade something?  Qmail's core?
Not in years.  Vpopmail?  Yea, occassionally, if you want to, or if a
bug/exploit is discovered..(When was the last time tha happened?)
Qmail-queue?  Probably more than the others, but still seldom, and not a big
deal to do...

Anyway...  Enough rambling.  I need to figure out how I'm going to implement
all these cool toys in qmail.  :-)

Michael J. Colvin
NorCal Internet Services
www.norcalisp.com