Got it.

This does appear to be the same problem Eric Shubert reported before --
the MX records for the sending domain point to servers that have both A
and MX records (pointing to themselves).  Strangely, I was only able to
trigger this bug once (and only on one machine) with the information you
sent me.  Whenever my nameservers returned the A records before the MX
records, the bug didn't trigger.  After my nameservers had cached the
records, they always seemed to return the A records first.

-- Sam Clippinger