On 5/12/11 5:09 PM, Sam Clippinger wrote:
> In a nutshell, some
> administrators (groupon.com) have created DNS records that are
> technically legal but logically stupid and they tickle a small bug in
> spamdyke.
It's legal and desirable!  A FQDN may resolve to an IP address, but the
machine that the IP address points to does NOT handle inbound mail for
that FQDN.  You absolutely need an A record *and* an MX record for that
FQDN.

For example, I have panoptic.com configured with IN A 96.56.31.42, and
IN MX mx1.panoptic.com.  mx1.panoptic.com IN A 96.56.31.42, but if I
ever want to redirect inbound mail, I can do so by simply changing the
IN A record for mx1.panoptic.com to point to a different IP.

This is very common - gmail.com is set up similarly (with both A and MX
records).  It's pretty much the standard pattern for DNS configuration.

Now, I can even define an MX record for mx1.panoptic.com, so if someone
(for some foolish reason) wants to send mail to
usern...@mx1.panoptic.com, I can have it routed *elsewhere* and not
actually delivered to the IP of mx1.panoptic.com itself.  This is an
unlikely scenario, but one that certainly has very legitimate use cases,
such as third-party email providers.    This isn't "logically stupid" at
all - it's exactly this kind of flexibility in the DNS design that makes
outsourced email delivery separate from outsourced email reception possible.

--
Dossy Shiobara         |      "He realized the fastest way to change
do...@panoptic.com     |   is to laugh at your own folly -- then you