On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Rick Bunke wrote:
> Another problem I have stems from ignorance of solaris.
> I would format under solaris except I'm not sure which device file is my
> scsi floppy id=5. I thought it was /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s5, but when I try a
> fdformat of that device it says it's mounted use the -U option. Well
> the -U option doesn't work either and when I try to umount it tells me
> it's not mounted? does anybody know which device file it is, or have url
> with the logic behind the solaris device file naming so that I could
> figure it out?
You're lucky -U didn't work, the path you listed would correspond to
partition #5 on SCSI ID #3 (quite possibly your boot drive).
SysV disk ordering is pretty easy:
c = controller (0 is usually onboard SCSI)
t = target (SCSI ID)
d = drive (LUN)
s = slice (partition number)
So your SCSI floppy would be c0t5d0s[0-7] for the different partition
entries.
fdformat is designed for use with S/WD interfaced floppies, such as the
builtin interfaced floppy drives on sun4c systems. The boot PROM sees
SCSI floppies as just another SCSI drive, so to boot off of it you will
probably have to lay down a partition table and write fixed-disk style
boot blocks to it.
This is all from memory which may be in error, the last time I dealt with
SCSI floppies was on a 3/280 running SunOS 4.1.1. Never tried to boot
from one.
--
James D. Lockwood The (former) Getty Information Institute
System Administrator 1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 300
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Los Angeles, CA 90049-1680
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe sparclinux" in
the body of the message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]