On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, James Lockwood wrote:
>
> > scsi floppy id=5.  
> 
> partition #5 on SCSI ID #3 (quite possibly your boot drive).
> 
> So your SCSI floppy would be c0t5d0s[0-7] for the different partition 
> entries.
> 
> fdformat is designed for use with S/WD interfaced floppies, such as the 
> builtin interfaced floppy drives on sun4c systems.  The boot PROM sees 
> SCSI floppies as just another SCSI drive, so to boot off of it you will 
> probably have to lay down a partition table and write fixed-disk style 
> boot blocks to it.
> 
> This is all from memory which may be in error, the last time I dealt with 
> SCSI floppies was on a 3/280 running SunOS 4.1.1.  Never tried to boot 
> from one.
>

Wow.. so there were really SCSI floppy drives at one point. I take it they
were used largely on pre-SPARC machines, but are they still around? Are
they still manufactured? How's compatibility with FM floppy drives? What
are the densities? From what I've read and seen, my SPARCstation 2 has an
FM-based floppy drive, is this correct?

Sorry for being off-topic, but I was amazed to read of a SCSI floppy
drive... It has been one of those "wouldn't it be cool if" things. Any
pointers to additional information on them?

Thanks.
 
------*-*-*----------------------------------------<< 207.127.232.247 >>--
      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * DESCENT * 486
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Wars * SeaQuest * Voltron * Summer
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Trek * WarCraft II * SPARCstation 2
   **   *   **  
--Slackware-3.6-------!   !  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !   !--------------2.2.5--

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe sparclinux" in
the body of the message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to