Before I test Jakub's patch (later tonight), I have found two SunSolve
documents that could explain some of this issue. I think it looks like a
hardware problem but it looks like SUN has found a workaround in later
versions of Solaris:
I hope they'll forgive me for posting this here.
####################################################################
Bug Id: 1202859
Category: kernel
Subcategory: boot
State: integrated
Synopsis: using 8x32 Mb SIMMs (501-2622) in SS20 doesn't work on Solaris
2.5 Release 19.
Description:
Not sure if this is the vehicle for Solaris 2.5 release X bugs, but let me
know...
Configuration:
SS20 71 (single 75 Mhz CPU)
256 Mb RAM (via 8x32 Mb SIMMs pn# 501-2622)
1.05 Gb disk
latest system board (10REV50) and PROM (2.22)
Bug:
When I install my Solaris 2.5 Release 19 boot disk AND have 8x32 Mb SIMMs,
I get the following error message on booting:
SunOS Release 5.5 Verion on495-gate: 95/03/16
panic - boot: Boot getlink(): no memlist space (need 264)
Type 'go' to resume
Type help for more information
<#0> ok
If I take out the 8th SIMM and leave the system as 7x32 Mb, it boots fine.
If I take out the Solaris 2.5 Release 19 boot drive, replace with Solaris
2.4 FCS boot drive, it works fine with 8x32 SIMM configuration.
Normally, this isn't a big deal, but I just lent my 64 Mb SIMMs to someone
for another test and thought I could get away with my 32 Mb SIMMs - no
such luck!
jhd 5/22/95 This bug appears to be a duplicate of bug 1185691. We have
not been able to reproduce the system cconfiguration that exposes the bug.
The hypothesis is that the prom describes the memory configuration in
simm-size chunks of memory. Hence, 32Mb SIMMS take 2x the number of
memlist descriptors as for 64Mb SIMMs.
Work around:
Don't use 8th 32 Mb SIMMs ; use 64 Mb SIMMs.
Integrated in releases: s297_16
Duplicate of:
Patch id:
Summary:
Using 8x32 Mb SIMMs (501-2622) in SS20 doesn't work on Solaris 2.5 Release
19
####################################################################
Bug Id: 4005859
Category: hardware
Subcategory: memory
State: closed
Synopsis: panic - boot: boot getlink(): no memlist space (need 264)
Description:
SS20 will not boot Solaris 2.5 with eight 32MB simms in system (256MB
total). Failure is early in the boot and dies with a "panic-boot: boot
getlink(): no memlist space (need 264)". Failure happens with SM51, SM61
and SM71 modules. SS20 works if 4x64MB or 8x64MB of simms are used or one
of the 32MB simms is removed (7x32MB in system). Problem has been
repeated here in our system lab.
Work around:
Integrated in releases:
Duplicate of: 1185691
Patch id:
Summary:
Duplicate of 1185691 and 1202859
,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places. - Robert Frost
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe sparclinux" in
the body of the message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]