I knew about junctions, and indeed they are lame. The new tool is
'mklink' and its links are different:
"Unlike a NTFS junction point
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point> (available since
Windows 2000), a symbolic link can also point to a file or remote SMB
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block> network path."

So give it another look if you want that functionality. I know I'll use
it sooner rather than later.

-Matt