In the scenario you describe, XPRESS would think that all of the
identified peptides were "heavy" and quantify the corresponding light
partner by always subtracting a mass from the identified peptide mass.
 So check your results to confirm whether or not this is the case; I'd
have to think that half of the quantitation numbers are wrong (those
where the +140 mod peptides were considered heavy).

The supported search method is to use static mods of 140 and a
variable mod of 8.