Try re-generating the index at the end of the mzXML file after you
edit out the charge state.  The TPP tools are failing to parse your
mzXML because the scan index is no longer valid.  You can re-generate
the index using "indexmzXML" which is distributed with the TPP
(c:\inetpub\tpp-bin\indexmzXML.exe).  Simply run it as:

    indexmzXML.exe <yourfile>.mzXML

Tandem doesn't make use of the scan index and simply reads the mzXML
from start to finish which is why it has no problems reading your
edited file.