Philip,

I'm guessing you're specifying a small "fragment_bin_tol" value for the
high-res ms/ms spectra.  This causes Comet (not all capitalized) to use a
ton of memory and you're just running out of memory.

On the following UWPR SEQUEST page, there's a table correlating a set of
fragment_bin_tol settings vs. # input spectra vs. memory used:
https://proteomicsresource.washington.edu/sequest_release/release_201201.php
These numbers apply to Comet as well.

To address the problem, run smaller searches i.e. run Comet on a subset of
your input spectra.  You can do this either with the "scan_range" parameter
in the params file or simply invoke the searches such as
   comet yourfile.mzXML:1-3000
   comet yourfile.mzXML:3001-6000
   comet yourfile.mzXML:6001-9000

Your going to get multiple outputs if you do this which will need to be
handled.  Splitting searches and managing results is something that some
script should do for you; some day I'll throw some simple windows and linux
example scripts on the Comet website for users.

Hopefully we'll have a workaround to address the memory use for these small
fragment_bin_tol values in the semi-near future (thanks to Mike Hoopmann
here who has implemented sparse matrix support in the code which I'm
actively working with now).

- Jimmy