Dave,

Mike Hoopmann implemented a nice fix for searches using small bins.  The
sources current in Comet SourceForge trunk should be fully functional.  One
new parameter entry is titled "use_sparse_matrix" (see Comet version
2013.01 params in link below) which controls whether or not the sparse
matrix data representation is used.  For small bins, this not only
addresses the memory use but those searches are also a little faster.

http://comet-ms.sourceforge.net/parameters/parameters_201301/

There's one other little feature I'd like to add before putting out another
official release but the sparse matrix data representation to deal with
this issue (memory use and small bin sizes) is the major feature in the
next version.  When the next release happens, I'll document memory use and
compare small vs. large bins on high res data (among other analysis).

- Jimmy