Greetings!

In review of SPDX specification (spdx.org/), I'm not seeing a clear annotation
for U.S. Public Domain. Could you please clarify if such a license currently
exists and I have failed to understand or find it? Any links or clarification
appreciated!

As a federal government employee involved with open source projects, I would
like to understand if we can have a SPDX license for public domain or
government works to better enable federal agencies to contribute code and make
the licensing and copyright clear. There is currently an efforts to renew
support for custom software code (sourcecode.cio.gov/)to ensure all government
produced works are clearly promoted and licensing is required to be open
source. Having a license targeted at public domain, or specifically referencing
government contribution, might promote and encourage open source licensing.

As you may be aware, for federal employees and most government agencies, the
copyright is simply "This is a work of the U.S. Government and is not subject
to copyright protection in the United States. Foreign rights may apply." that
falls into the public domain. In terms of operational knowledge, that is also
affected by the government contract with vendors, and how the rights are
asserted and assumed. Reference: www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html;
www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfars/html/current/252227.htm. It seems this new
initiative - although one could simply state it is related to government
failing to clearly mark contracted works as public domain - is to specifically
assign an open source license approach, to assert specific copyright as the law
allows agencies to do for specific needs. In this case, I pull that rationale
from the linked sites as the  need to "enables Federal employees to work
together-both within and across agencies-to reduce costs, streamline
development, apply uniform standards, and ensure consistency in creating and
delivering information.6<https://sourcecode.cio.gov/introduction/#fn6> Enhanced
reuse of custom-developed code across the Federal Government can have
significant benefits for American taxpayers, such as reducing Federal vendor
lock-in,7<https://sourcecode.cio.gov/introduction/#fn7> decreasing duplicative
costs for the same code, increasing transparency across the Federal Government,
and minimizing the challenges associated with integrating large blocks of code
from multiple sources."

I'm happy to make a recommendation on the SPDX format, if you care to respond
and let me know if there have been additional discussions on this topic to be
considered, if an existing license is recommended, or if in review you agree
there is a need for such a specification.

Regards,

Norman Robinson
Section 508 Program Manager
U.S. Department of State
IRM/BMP/Governance, Resource, and Performance Management (GRP)
SA-9 (American Red Cross Building) 2025 E Street, NW 4th Floor, Suite NE4026
Washington, DC
robins...@state.gov<mailto:robins...@state.gov>
(202) 634-0301

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.