On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Robinson, Norman <robins...@state.gov> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> In review of SPDX specification (spdx.org/), I’m not seeing a clear
> annotation for U.S. Public Domain. Could you please clarify if such a
> license currently exists and I have failed to understand or find it? Any
> links or clarification appreciated!
>
> As a federal government employee involved with open source projects, I would
> like to understand if we can have a SPDX license for public domain or
> government works to better enable federal agencies to contribute code and
> make the licensing and copyright clear. There is currently an efforts to
> renew support for custom software code (sourcecode.cio.gov/)to ensure all
> government produced works are clearly promoted and licensing is required to
> be open source. Having a license targeted at public domain, or specifically
> referencing government contribution, might promote and encourage open source
> licensing.
>
> As you may be aware, for federal employees and most government agencies, the
> copyright is simply “This is a work of the U.S. Government and is not
> subject to copyright protection in the United States. Foreign rights may
> apply.” that falls into the public domain. In terms of operational
> knowledge, that is also affected by the government contract with vendors,
> and how the rights are asserted and assumed. Reference:
> www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html;
> www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfars/html/current/252227.htm. It seems this new
> initiative – although one could simply state it is related to government
> failing to clearly mark contracted works as public domain – is to
> specifically assign an open source license approach, to assert specific
> copyright as the law allows agencies to do for specific needs. In this case,
> I pull that rationale from the linked sites as the  need to “enables Federal
> employees to work together—both within and across agencies—to reduce costs,
> streamline development, apply uniform standards, and ensure consistency in
> creating and delivering information.6 Enhanced reuse of custom-developed
> code across the Federal Government can have significant benefits for
> American taxpayers, such as reducing Federal vendor lock-in,7 decreasing
> duplicative costs for the same code, increasing transparency across the
> Federal Government, and minimizing the challenges associated with
> integrating large blocks of code from multiple sources.”

This is awesome!

> I’m happy to make a recommendation on the SPDX format, if you care to
> respond and let me know if there have been additional discussions on this
> topic to be considered, if an existing license is recommended, or if in
> review you agree there is a need for such a specification.

This would be great and  makes a lot of sense to me. Getting this as a license
in the list would mean consistency and simplicity both for the agencies
releasing code and for their recipients.
I have seen various ways Federal agencies handle this such as the NIST in
[1] (ignoring the funny Untied States typo).

At the minimum I would in much favor to have a license identifier for a generic
dedication to the public domain beyond the existing Creative Commons CC0.

Alternatively I have seen projects use a choice of a custom dedication or
CC0 such as in [2]. This helps deal with some countries (Germany? ) that do
not recognize public domain and is not incompatible with having an id.

Legal mavens, what's your take?

[1]
https://java.net/projects/jsip/sources/svn/content/trunk/src/gov/nist/javax/sdp/MediaDescriptionImpl.java?rev=2364
[2] https://github.com/search?q=cc0+public+domain+jurisdiction&type=Code