I do note that the US Digital Services web design standards references CC0 1.0
Universal public domain dedication; github.com/18F/web-design-standards

This is very close to Universal Permissive License v1.0 UPL-1.0 :
spdx.org/licenses/UPL-1.0.html in intent, although I have concerns the
community at large won't use it unless they see "placed in the public domain
under government contract" or "United States Government works" (17 U.S. Code ยง
105; www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/105).

While it could be argued UPL or public domain or CC0 1.0
(creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) (SPDX CC0-1.0) does that, I
believe citing the reasoning it is public domain, because it is a US Government
work, will be most important to agencies who are also trying to communicate
they deliberately and with intent placed it is the public domain, versus
someone making the claim they were working on the project, had a copy, or
assert it wasn't work for hire, or covered by contract agreement on a
government contract.

Otherwise we will have to teach the community to use SPDX CC0-1.0 and use
project documentation along the lines of:
This project is in the public domain
This project is in the worldwide public
domain<https://github.com/18F/web-design-standards/blob/18f-pages-staging/LICENSE.md>.
 As stated in
CONTRIBUTING<https://github.com/18F/web-design-standards/blob/18f-pages-staging/CONTRIBUTING.md>:
This project is in the public domain within the United States, and copyright
and related rights in the work worldwide are waived through the CC0 1.0
Universal public domain
dedication<https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>.
All contributions to this project will be released under the CC0 dedication. By
submitting a pull request, you are agreeing to comply with this waiver of
copyright interest.

Is CC0-1.0 sufficient or do we consider the merits for "SPDX USCode105-1.0" or
"SPDX US-Public-1.0" to help agencies and contracted vendors document their
intent and license - or lack of license - that always confuses me!