+++ Kyle Mitchell [02/06/17 13:53 -0700]:
From the point of view of package managers using SPDX
expression syntax in metadata, very strong preference
for a unitary identifier like "BSDplusPatents" over a
license exception.

To me there's a more basic objection: it is not presented as an
"exception", as that term has been used in free software/open source
licensing culture (mainly in the GPL family), and to think of it as an
exception could have implications for interpretation of the existing
BSD licenses.

BTW I support Jilayne's suggestion that SPDX try to define what an
'exception' is for SPDX purposes.

Richard