Hi Jilayne,

I can see why SPDX would want to try to have some consistent approach
to forming identifiers for related licenses (although I think the
value of having a standard identifier is more important than
consistency across multiple identifiers).

My view is that an SPDX short identifier has a specific primary
purpose which comes out of the SPDX specification, and a definition
which among other things is dependent on the SPDX matching
guidelines. It is not meant to supplant all other names of a license
for all purposes, which if possible should reflect prevailing usage of
the community (or author) using a license. Of course as SPDX gets more
successful it may start to influence how licenses are named in common
discourse, and I already see this happening to some extent.

I see no reason why SPDX identifiers can't coexist with
sometimes-different "common usage names" of licenses, and I myself
have already gotten comfortable with using SPDX short identifiers in
some situations and "common usage names" in others. I am uncomfortable
however in getting ahead of the community and actively trying to stamp
out the traditional or common usage names of licenses. Of course none
of that is relevant to BSD+Patent which is a new license that hasn't
yet been used by any projects.

I think "BSD-2-Clause-Patent" is OK for an SPDX short identifier if
that's what this group wants to use for that purpose, and whatever
this group decides to use will be noted on the OSI web page for
BSD+Patent. But, subject possibly to some preference by McCoy as
license author, I am disinclined to change the name "BSD+Patent"
itself. It is one of the best names for a new open source license I've
seen in a really long time and has a catchiness that may help with
adoption of the license, which I consider a really valuable addition
to the set of OSI-approved licenses.

To instead call it, for *non-SPDX* purposes, "BSD-2-Clause-Patent", or
even "2-Clause BSD plus Patent License", would be (I feel) to
substitute for a name that has charm, beauty, vitality and magic
something cold, soulless, gray and bureaucratic (qualities that are
absolutely fine within the sphere of activity that SPDX is concerned
with).

(If SPDX calls BSD+Patent "BSD-2-Clause-Patent", wouldn't consistency
suggest changing the identifier for Clear BSD to
"BSD-3-Clause-No-Patent"?)

Richard