On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 08:26:56PM +0000, Gisi, Mark wrote:
> >> But you can't define a LicenseRef in sitations (like npm [1]) where the
> >> only
> >> thing you can set is a license expression and you don't have access to the
> >> broader
> >> SPDX spec.
> >> [1]: https://docs.npmjs.com/files/package.json#license
>
> This is not a problem with the license expression language. It is a
> problem with the SPDX identifier mechanism. LicenseRefs are SPDX's
> cornerstone way of handling the many many non-standard license
> notices found every day in source code.

Perhaps, but having an explicit ‘only’ is a cheap way to avoid a
LicenseRef in cases like ‘CDDL-1.0 only’.  Inlining LicenseRefs in
license expressions (or talking external projects like npm into using
the full SPDX spec) are both much larger changes.  And…

> In the above example you don't need an "only" operator…

You *do* need this if you want separate license expressions for “I
just found the GPL-2.0 text in a separate file, but am not clear on
the intended grant” (GPL-2.0) and “this file is GPL-2.0 only” (GPL-2.0
only).  There's no way to address that with LicenseRef.  You might be
able to cover that distinction with PackageLicenseComments [1], but
that's not structured.  So I see two use cases that a structured ‘only’
operator allows:

a. ‘GPL-2.0 only’ is a fairly common license, so having a structured
   way to declare it seems useful to me (and it's nice to have that
   structured way be obvious from the license expression).

b. Tools that do not look at grants (e.g. licensee, as I linked
   earlier) are also deployed in high-visibility areas (e.g. GitHub's
   auto-detected license API [2]), so having a structured way for them
   to *not* claim “only” vs. “or later” seems useful to me too.

Do you believe that one or the other of those cases are not worth
supporting?  Or do you want to support both, but you prefer a
different approach than an ‘only’ operator?

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version#h.41mghml
[2]: https://developer.github.com/v3/licenses/