>> I disagree.  LicenseRef is not a cornerstone, and for many use cases it's
>> irrelevant.

We will have to respectfully disagree. LicenseRefs are critical for creating
SPDX files. Packages such as the Linux Kernel, Busybox and all the OpenStack
modules require LicenseRefs to create a proper SPDX file. Therefore the
LicenseRef construct is absolutely the SPDX cornerstone method for dealing with
customer license notices.

>> If people think they "need" a LicenseRef, it's often one of two cases:
>> 1. The SPDX license list has an important omission (time to report the
>> license to SPDX,
>> not to use a LicenseRef!) 2. There's a weird license in use by a third
>> party.

Where cases 1 and 2 above occur frequently.

>> As a developer or potential user, I'm probably going to just avoid using
>> that software,
>> in which case problem solved...

I agree - you will not encounter the weird stuff like CDDL-1.0 only notice.
This is a convenient choice you get to make but that is not a realistic option
for anyone creating SPDX files for code for any significant open source project
or Linux distro.

>> Yes, if you have a full SDPX file, more information can be useful.  But
>> *lots* of people use SPDX license expressions separately.

Consider just the people who only use SPDX license expressions (and not the
full SPDX spec).

Case 1: Because they are writing their own code, they could stick with standard
licenses and avoid the rare CDDL "only" notices along with all the other weird
third party stuff. We don't want to encourage them to use non-standard stuff
anyway. Therefore there is no need to add the "only" operator since the current
license expression syntax is sufficient to address any standard case (including
GPL 2.0 only and GPL 2.0 or a later version).

Case 2:  If they decide to use other third party code then they will encounter,
from time to time, custom license notices. They will need a way to deal with
them - hence the need for a LicenseRefs like construct. Therefore there is no
need to add the "only" operator because you will have a LicenseRef like
mechanism.

Regardless, the SPDX identifier model will need to accommodate a LicenseRef
like mechanism if it wants to accommodate customer license notices that are
frequently encountered in the wild.

- Mark