"Wheeler, David A" <dwhee...@ida.org> writes:

> John Sullivan:
>> A key part is missing in the description of the original FSF proposal here
>> though -- which is deprecating the existing GPL-2.0 and similar "plain"
>> identifiers for GNU licenses so that the identifiers used always indicate
>> whether the version is "only" or "any later".
>>
>> As I understand it, people had concerns with deprecating the plain
>> identifiers because of situations where they (for example) find a copy of
>> GPLv2, but no clear statement about whether the program is actually
>> licensed under its terms.
>
> Not exactly.  In many cases it's clearly licensed under GPLv2.
> The issue is that often we don't know if "or any later version"
> applies.

On this point, to me, if it doesn't say "or any later version", then
it's "only" -- assuming a clear statement other than the license text
itself specifying the version number of the GPL.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.