Brad Edmondson [mailto:brad.edmond...@gmail.com]
> I think your points are good ones, but it seems to me they go to the separate
> issues of "file:detected license" and "package:concluded license."
> The clarity of the spec argument is aimed at making the "file:detected
> license" case more explicit, and if it leaves tools with NOASSERTION for
> "package:concluded license," then I think that's OK, no?

No, it fails to work for multiple reasons:
1. "NOASSERTION" is basically useless, because it provides no information.  In
many cases, all I need to know is "there's a version of the GPL here", and I
can make a decision.  Being able to provide *some* information is often all
that's needed , while providing *no* information creates a lot of unnecessary
work for tool users.
2. Tools, lacking sentience, often cannot determine whether or not "or later
versions" applies.  So they're unable to be "more explicit" in
package:concluded.  The current structure requires that conclude either "only
2.0" or "2.0 or later"... even though tools typically CANNOT make that
determination.  SPDX should make it possible report the information *actually*
available.
3. The majority of SPDX users do not use SPDX files.  Instead, they *only* use
SPDX license expressions (as available in package managers, file content
declarations, etc.).  So there's no "file:detected" vs. "package:concluded"
entries to compare anyway.

--- David A. Wheeler