I understand and agree with David's concerns - also coming from a tooling
perspective.

However, I believe this is a different problem than the FSF issue and a problem
we have today with the current license expression syntax and the current
license list.

It seems we are talking about 2 different usage scenarios for SPDX license
expressions:
1) Someone is using a license expression to document what they "know" or assert
is the license for a file or package.  For example, the copyright owner is
adding an SPDX license ID in their file headers.
2) Someone or something is documenting findings on license information for
files or packages.  For example, a license scanning tool.

For #1, we don't want to allow someone to be ambiguous about whether a GPL
license is "only" or "or later" when describing a license using SPDX license
expressions.  I believe this is the issue the FSF is concerned about.

For #2, we will find situations where it is not clear if a GPL license is to be
used "only" with that version or with that version or later (BTW - it's not
just tools that have this problem).  We would like to be able to express this
situation using SPDX since it is very useful information.

On the last legal call, it seemed clear to me that our attempts to solve #2
created a great deal of concern for those trying to solve #1.

In order to make progress, I still feel we should divide and conquer solving
the FSF issue first then addressing the ambiguous license version issue in a
future release of the spec.  Perhaps we can come up with a more generalized
solution for ambiguous license findings for #2 if we had more time to design
and discuss the solution.

One additional thought: We could use a LicenseRef to document the exact text of
the ambiguous license version and add a license comment to indicate it is GPL,
just not clear which version.  The LicenseRef approach would only work for SPDX
documents and would provide more information than a NOASSERTION.

Gary