On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Wheeler, David A <dwhee...@ida.org> wrote:
> No tool can guarantee that always determines if "or any later version"
> applies.
> Certainly not licensee, which is the tool used automatically by GitHub.
> Indeed, licensee generally only looks at the LICENSE file - it doesn't even
> *try*
> to parse the README file (which it could only do imperfectly anyway).
>
> Oh, and for many developers, the license output from licensee is the *only*
> SPDX data they'll see, because GitHub does that analysis automatically for
> them
> when they view a project (they don't have to run a tool).  I'd love to see
> licensee improved, but most developers have ZERO interest in all the details
> of a SPDX file anyway; they just want the license expression, and that's it.
> In many places, the *developers* choose the libraries that will be used;
> there are no lawyers to double-check anything.

OK, so GH licensee does not even make a serious attempt at providing
accurate information and instead returns half-baked partial license
information. Despite all the good intentions, I find it quite
irresponsible to then promote this tool globally on a site with such a
viewership.

If this were a C compiler this would akin to say: I will ignore the
function definitions from your header .h files. Once in a while I will
compile a program that may run, though it may not run as you expected.
Often I will crash and now and then I will just destroy your hard
drive. But bear with me and use me anyway, I am "good enough".

I just hope none would use such a tool to further propagate this
half-baked misinformation when better tools exist out there. I am all
for "good enough" but good enough is only good enough when there is at
least __enough of the good__: otherwise this is counterproductive and
dangerous especially when widely promoted.

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne