From: Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org <Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org> On Behalf Of James
Bottomley
Sent: Friday, 10 August, 2018 18:14
To: Matija ?uklje <mat...@suklje.name>; spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for a generic new exception for OpenSSL

On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 16:08 +0200, Matija ?uklje wrote:
> Dne četrtek, 09. avgust 2018 ob 02:46:21 CEST je James Bottomley
> napisal(a):
> > Most of the alternative formulations go for wordier versions, but I
> > think brevity is better.
>
> I have pondered on this for longer than I thought I would, but don’t
> have a proposal I would be happy with yet.

Thanks for thinking about it.  I was hoping the problem of finding a generic
way of putting it would appeal to someone.

> Would you mind sharing which others versions you found? Can also be
> off- list, if preferred.

Sure, this is the last one I did for the secure boot tools:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/efitools.git/tree/COPYING

This is what GNU did for wget.  They really didn't want it in their licence, so
the COPYING file is an unmodified GPL-3.0+ licence and the exception is placed
into every file, e.g:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/wget.git/tree/src/http.c

Stunnel has this:

https://www.stunnel.org/sdf_copying.html

Dejacode (a sort of SPDX look alike) has one from Tideslash:

https://enterprise.dejacode.com/licenses/public/openssl-exception-gpl-3.0-plus/

One of the Linux Distros actually collected a couple of standard forms (but
they look very similar to the wget ones):

https://www.calculate-linux.org/packages/licenses/GPL-2+-with-openssl-exception
https://www.calculate-linux.org/packages/licenses/GPL-3-with-openssl-exception

Trolltech has an elaborate exception clause for Qt:

https://doc.qt.io/archives/4.3/license-gpl-exceptions.html

And, of course, SPDX codifies the openvpn one:

https://spdx.org/licenses/openvpn-openssl-exception.html

These are just the handful I turned up the last time I had to write an OpenSSL
exception.

James

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich