I was looking for the same generic OpenSSL exception and surprised that there
was only a specific OpenVPN one.

This is my suggestion based upon our Deluge project text:
https://git.deluge-torrent.org/deluge/tree/LICENSE derived from this article:
https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

Full name:
    OpenSSL Exception
Short identifier:
    OpenSSL-exception
Other web pages for this exception:
    https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
Notes:
    Typically used with GPL-2.0 or GPL-3.0
Text:
    In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
    permission to link the code of portions of this program with the OpenSSL
    library.
    You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of
    the code used other than OpenSSL. If you modify file(s) with this
    exception, you may extend this exception to your version of the file(s),
    but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete
    this exception statement from your version.

I am not sure whether to include the OpenVPN following additional text after
'OpenSSL library', which does make some sense:
    "(or with modified versions of OpenSSL that use the same license as
OpenSSL), and distribute linked combinations including the two."

Finally of note is that OpenSSL is moving to Apache license so this will be a
moot point soon-ish! https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2018/03/01/last-license/