To be frank, I haven't had time to read all the list traffic today but I
see there are lengthy discussions.

Given Jilayne's backlog for this release it's clear this won't reach any
usual consensus anytime soon so I would suggest we all give her some room
to get what needs done for the next release.

My proposal would be that we:

   - punt further discussion on the KES into a future release timeframe
   - move forward with the GPLCC (see my rationale below) and
   - thank Jilayne for her tireless contribution to this project and chip
   in where we can on the long list of open issues for this release

I have not seen and am not aware of any objections to the GPL-CC being
added since it does apply to the entire project and can be used on
contribution. Red Hat also may have some projects it will actually use it
for. From my perspective I respectfully disagree with Richard that they're
both intertwined. I would be fine seeing the GPL-CC added to the list. It's
substantively different enough from the KES in how it works and it was
designed to be like other exceptions already on the list. Just because
something may grant an additional permission in the GPL context does not
necessarily make it applicable to this list of license exceptions that
apply to projects and not individuals' copyrights. Neither the current
exceptions nor the GPLCC require a continuous, exhaustive copyright
ownership analysis to determine if they apply. The copyright ownership data
required is not in any cregit or in any readily available source, not to
mention there are ambiguities in where it might apply (let's not even get
into APIs).

The KES is not and never was drafted to work like people who were not
involved in the drafting may want it to work. I am happy to discuss the
concerns with anyone. There were hundreds of parties involved in the review
and commenting on the KES who are not on this list who I'm sure would show
up if they were made aware.

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdo...@linuxfoundation.org
---