On 8-Jun-07, at 2:26 PM, Drummond Reed wrote:
> See my next message about this. It works identically to David's
> examples
> (just substitute these as reassignable and persistent identifiers)
> except it
> has the advantage that it does not require an extra round-trip for
> discovery/verification of the persistent identifier (the Canonical ID)
> because the client can verify from the identifiers themselves that the
> provider of the reassignable identifier (the first one) is
> authoritative for
> the persistent identifier (the second one).

In essence, it would then be the same flow I detailed last week [1],
would you agree?

Specifically, the "canonical id verification" above is:

> c) Verification of discovered information against auth response
> fields:
>       strip_fragment(openid.claimed_id) == discovered claimed id

So the fragment approach would match Josh's request for no extra
discovery [2]. Allowing for more general canonical IDs would require
a more complex verification process.

Johnny

[1]     http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2007-May/001767.html
[2]     http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2007-June/001851.html