Hugh,

> > Yes, I needed to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt to include unmounting of
> > /proc/bus/usb:
> >
> > Just before the line containing "mount -n -o remount,ro /" I added the
line:

> > runcmd "Unmounting usbdevfs file system" umount /proc/bus/usb
> >
> > Try it and see if it helps.
> >

> I edited the halt script as you suggested, but it does not solve the
problem,
> this is what happens:
> when I have a clean unmount (around 5 times out of ten) , I see the
message:
> unmounting usbdefs file system umount /proc/bus/usb: not mounted [failed]

OK, that means that your setup is already correctly unmounting /proc/bus/usb
as a matter of course. You shouldn't really have needed the line I added
(neither should I, but my system is a bit of a mix)

> when I have an unclean unmount the last message on the screen is:
Unmounting
> files systems and it does not get at the point where your extra line
should
> display, the system just hangs. The sequence alt-sysreq-s alt-sysreq-u
> alt-sysreq-b does not help neither

I'm afraid you are now beyond the point at which I can make useful
suggestions :-(

> I am quite sure that the problem is related to the presence of the
speedtouch
> modem, I just tried to halt and reboot my system WITHOUT  the speedtouch
modem
> connected 10 times in a row and all unmounts were succesfully.

Quite possibly.

> Maybe I should try it with your halt-script? Can you send it to me? Do you
use
> another distribution than mine (manrake 8.0)?

I use Red Hat 6.2 with a custom kernel. I doubt my halt script would help
you. The only thing you can do is to try and find what exactly differs
between a successful shutdown and an unsuccessful one.

Sorry I can't help further!

Cheers,
Tony

Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe