Edouard Gomez ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I'll try to  set up my connection  in pppoe mode but i  never did that
> before so  if someone already  used the experimental patch  could test
> this one, it would be great.

Ok i tested the code myself and it works just fine, it wil be commited
soon.   What  i would  like,  is  that you  users,  write  a nice  doc
explaining how to use pppoa3 in pppoe mode. It's more or less the same
as  pppoa mode but  it has  some specifities  because of  the rp-pppoe
configuration.

What i've changed in rp-pppoe debian default conf :
  - add 'sync' option to the pppd peer file
  - add '-s' option to the rp-pppoe command line pty command.
  - use tap0 instead of eth0 as ethernet device

What must be changed in current stusb doc to connect in pppoe mode :
  - install rp-pppoe and add the stusb specific options explained before
  - run pppoa3 as a standalone app
    $ pppoa3 -b -c -m 1 -vpi xx -vci yy
  - launch the pppoe connection

I see no  real benefit in using pppoe where pppoa  is accepted by your
ISP. The only  possible real gain could be done  if merge of modem_run
and pppoa3 was made. This way, when you initialize the modem a virtual
eth device (tap0)  would be upped and ready for  use by rp-pppoe, just
like when you do "ifconfig up eth0" for real eth devices...

Feedback would  be welcome  from usual stusb  hackers... and  users of
course

PS : i don't post the patch  here because it's not really useful as it
is now. I wait  for a real update, man page +  doc + code.

--
Edouard Gomez