Yes, you should preferably use the command 'service adsl start'

The script check_adsl.sh is useful to test that your connection is alive
in case the 'persist' option in the pppd speedtch file doesn't work (it
happens sometimes for me), especially when your provider stop the
connexion every 24h (I don't know if it is the case where you live).
This script pings some well known site and if all fails, it considers
that the connexion is down and relaunch pppd and only pppd. Because in
the case where the modem is in a bad state, you should likely unplug and
replug your modem before the connexion can restart (I don't know if it
is a bug of the modem or if it is a bug/feature of USB). (I have a green
manta speedtouch modem for info)

If you don't want to use the service command, you can use the script
start_adsl.sh which is called by the init script.

Regards,

Fred