> Do you get a message like this in the log:
>
> ADSL line is synchronising

Thanks for the quick reply Duncan.

Yes I do - in fact, slightly further down, it says:-

"ADSL line is up (2302 kb/s down | 288kb/s up)"

There's then a lot of irrelevant stuff about Bluetooth.  Then I come
to these lines:-

kernel: [17179641.952000] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
modem_run[4818]: modem_run version 1.3.1 started by root uid 0
modem_run[4818]: No SpeedTouch USB found

Does that make any more sense?

John