> You have an old pppd hanging around from Dapper.  You probably
> had to install it yourself, right?

Not as far as I'm aware.  I looked through my old instructions for
installing the Speedtouch modem under Dapper but it doesn't mention
PPPD.  I suppose it could have been installed automatically though,
without me realising anything.

You seem to be right about the version though.  I only have one PPPD
executable in /usr/sbin.  It's dated 10th July 2006 which usually means it
came with Dapper.  I asked on the Ubuntu forum to see if there's a newer
version but nobody responded.

This might be significant though.... inside the folder /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.4/
I found a file called pppoatm.so.  I renamed it to rp-pppoatm.so and after
that I seem to be getting slightly further.  My pppd log file entries now
read as follows:-

pppd[4890]: Plugin rp-pppoatm.so loaded
kernel: [17179659.832000] NET: Registered protocol family 10
kernel: [17179659.832000] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
kernel: [17179659.832000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
kernel: [17179659.832000] IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
pppd[4890]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
pppd[4890]: connect(0.38): No such device
pppd[4890]: Exit

0 and 38 are the VP and VC numbers that I was given for the UK.  They worked
with Dapper so I assume they won't have changed.

Thanks,

John