On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Tim Michelsen
<timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

>> 1. - Is there any way to create auto-documentation of a project
>> without generating the rst files and setting the auto-doc strings
>> (automodule, autoclass...) for each module and class manually?
> Although this seems to be disregarded by some developers on this list, I
> think this is sometimes very hand.
> If you are working on a one-man-project you don't want to write all by hand.
>
> What will help you is probably the autosummay extension:
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/latest/ext/autosummary.html#generating-stub-pages-automatically

FWIW, I'm not saying our approach is any better, but In nipy we
actually automated that process, just so we could get some good
coverage quickly (if not as cleanly as with hand-crafted files).

We started from some code by the pymvpa guys, which Matthew Brett and
I then polished a little.  In our makefile, there's an 'api' target:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Enipy-developers/nipy/trunk/annotate/head%3A/doc/Makefile#L74

which simply calls this short script:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nipy-developers/nipy/trunk/annotate/head%3A/tools/build_modref_templates.py

that guy is a driver for this tool which does the real work:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nipy-developers/nipy/trunk/annotate/head%3A/tools/apigen.py

Using these, I can get full api coverage for any project with just a
minute of work, and with an easy way to exclude the pieces I don't
want crawled.  We use this in all the nipy subprojects and in ipython.

The code is BSD, so feel free to reuse as you wish.

Cheers,