At 2:49pm -0400 Wed, 04 Jul 2012, Günter Milde wrote:
On 2012-07-04, Kevin Hunter wrote:
I think the issue is LaTeX interpreting it,

Yes, if it affects only the latexpdf output, maybe it is not the
beautifier. Can you post what ``'''`` looks like in the LaTeX source?

The Docutils latex writer translates it to ::

    \texttt{'{}'{}'}

But Sphinx uses it's own fork...

Given the attached, it appears to me that Sphinx didn't think of this particular detail.

Cheers,

Kevin

In trying to track down why it's difficult to produce triple single quotes, even
in a code environment with Sphinx.  Here are some Sphinx variants, and the
associated LaTeX translation.

 * Triple single quote: ``'''``
 * Escaped first single quote: ``\'''``
 * Escaped second single quote: ``'\''``
 * Escaped third single quote: ``''\'``
 * Individual single quotes: ``'``\ ``'``\ ``'``

Translates through Sphinx to the LaTeX markup:

\begin{itemize}
\item {}
Triple single quote: \code{'''}

\item {}
Escaped first single quote: \code{\textbackslash{}'''}

\item {}
Escaped second single quote: \code{'\textbackslash{}''}

\item {}
Escaped third single quote: \code{''\textbackslash{}'}

\item {}
Individual single quotes: \code{'}\code{'}\code{'}

\end{itemize}