I ran into the same issue.  The consensus I found was that it isn't
supported.  If you run on UNIX-ish systems, you can use symlinks then it
will be happy.  On Windows, you can kind of do the same thing,
Unfortunately, you need admin rights to make links on Windows, but you
don't need admin rights to make junctions.  So we created junctions under
our source directory to point to the actual contents elsewhere on the file
system.  For example, we have some common source that is shared between
documents so our structure looks something like:
root
  document1
    source
      common   ->  ..\..\common
  document2
    source
      common   ->  ..\..\common
  common
    files_common_to_document1_document

The links would be created with the command "mklink /j common
..\..\common".  Note that MS decided to reverse the parameters so they
aren't compatible with UNIX.

Hope that helps.

--Peter