ITed, it's probably both.

Even a cheapish table top used SW receiver with a random wire will pick up numbers stations , hams, SWBC stations, etc. A budget portable with a whip MAY be able to pick them up if you have experience with SW listening and are patient, but you'd do much better to get an Icom R71, or a Kenwood 2000, or something affordable like that, and run a wire as far as you can (even if it's just tacked to the ceiling down the hallway).

A whip and an inexpensive portable is not going to be easy!

John