Thank you for the information.  This is a lot more involved than I would have
thought.

Do you know of any good web sites or other resources that give reviews for
radios and antennas (and any other important items that would go along with
them)?  I don’t think I’ll be able to afford any major purchases until the
government decides to let me go back to work *growl* but I can at least take
some time to read up on the subject.