73 is a ham radio term that is similar to saying "Thanks and good luck"  or
similarly  "Best wishes"

Tradionally 88 is "love and kisses" -typically sent to the operator's wife.

"73s Bill and 88s to your XYL"  -or naming  her.

XYL = ex young lady / married

On June 22, 2014 10:32:38 PM AKDT, Ashley Dugan <weab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>from this list
>
>Justin
>I explained a bit about my (very rudimentary) shortwave hobby to my
>students and also played some numbers stations recordings.  Besides
>being
>astonished that any type of long-range communication took place before
>the
>internet, several of them became interested in short wave and bought
>radios
>themselves.  I do wish there was as much activity as there used to be
>on
>the waves, but there's still enough culture and bits of "spookiness" to
>keep them entertained.  One kid I've kept in contact with is still an
>avid
>listener and attends MIT.  So the torch is still being passed!  And
>thanks
>for being brave enough for asking the "newbie" questions for the rest
>of us
>chicken-hearted newbies. : )
>
>Ashley Dugan
>
>PS  I teach literature, so I had to do some contortions to fit dxing
>into
>my lesson plans.  Don't know if Common Core endorses that! : )
>
>PSS Another newbie question: what is the significance of "73"?

Semper Reluctor

"War is a country of will, there’s no room for sympathy. If you’re not
willing to give up everything…You’ve already lost."

-- Chief Dave