On the subject of "ancient" long range communication there are some references
that your students can enjoy.

Arthur C Clarke wrote an excellent book on transoceanic communications and the
competition between undersea  cables and satellites. The first  undersea  cable
was layed in the Victorian era, go figure! Of course it was used to transmit
telegrams in Morse code: "How the World Was One".

There's also a movie depicting the role of cryptography in the Battle of the
Atlantic in WWII. "Enigma". It's based on a novel by Robert Harris. With the
necessary simplifications, I think it's an excellent and understandable
description. And the novel is nice.

On the subject of cryptography, there is an amazing book written by a
historian: "The Codebreakers: The Comprehensive History of Secret Communication
from Ancient Times to the Internet" by David Kahn.

On other surprising "ancient" uses of radio communications in WWII search for a
bbc documentary available on YouTube called "The Battle of the Beams".

Borja.

-----

El destrozo ortográfico y gramatical del que es capaz el corrector de este
chisme es un buen ejemplo de la eficacia de eso que llaman "inteligencia
artificial".

The surreal ortographic and grammatical mistakes this appliance can make is an
excellent example of the real utility of the so called "artificial intelligence.