Hi Les,

From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com<mailto:ginsb...@cisco.com>>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:46 AM
To: Pushpasis Sarkar <psar...@juniper.net<mailto:psar...@juniper.net>>,
"stephane.litkow...@orange.com<mailto:stephane.litkow...@orange.com>"
<stephane.litkow...@orange.com<mailto:stephane.litkow...@orange.com>>, Uma
Chunduri <uma.chund...@ericsson.com<mailto:uma.chund...@ericsson.com>>,
"Aissaoui, Mustapha (Mustapha)"
<mustapha.aissa...@alcatel-lucent.com<mailto:mustapha.aissa...@alcatel-lucent.com>>,
 "spring@ietf.org<mailto:spring@ietf.org>"
<spring@ietf.org<mailto:spring@ietf.org>>, Shraddha Hegde
<shrad...@juniper.net<mailto:shrad...@juniper.net>>, Hannes Gredler
<han...@juniper.net<mailto:han...@juniper.net>>
Subject: RE: [spring] Modeling SRGB configuration for draft-ietf-spring-sr-yang

Pushpassis –

It is clear to me that what you propose is more complex to implement and more
costly in its consumption of labels.
[Pushpasis] I read through the entire repsponse and I still don’t see why you
think this is complex. Also, while distributing from one protocol to another
you may want to attach another index with the FEC (in scenarios when you want
to keep the index-management of destination protocol independent of the
index-management of soruce protocol). Having per-protcol SRGB opens up lots of
possibilities. One more point, you are only talking about the IP-route on the
ingress box. We need to also consider the MPLS transit labels on transit boxes
downloaded by each protocol. Shraddha in a previous thread has already pointed
out cases with ‘ships in the night’ mode of migration from one protocol to
another where this simplifies the micgration without causing any unwanted loops.

What I do not yet appreciate is what capabilities protocol specific SRGBs
provide which cannot be supported using a protocol independent SRGB. Could you
please provide some specific examples? Please do not use an RSVP/LDP analogy –
please use a proposed SR deployment case.
[Pushpasis] One such example (migration from one protocol to another) has
already been mentioned by Shraddha. But I can come with another example with
BGP-LU prefix segment in Datacenter. A boundary router (between DCN and the
DCI) will be running SR on two protocols
— BGP-LU towards the home DCN as well as to the boubdray routers on remote DCNs
across the DCI
— ISIS/OSPF with all the routers within the DCI.
If we have to keep the index management of DCNs independent of the
index-management of DCI (I.e. Same index can be used on DCN as well as DCI) we
need to make sure the transit label allocated on the boundary router by BGP-LU
for a destination in DCN is separate from the transit label allocated by
ISIS/OSPF for another destination in DCI network, even though BGP-LU and ISIS
may use the same index for these two different destination routers.

BTW, why do I say your proposal is more complex/costly?

On a node where redistribution of routes is occurring, the source of
redistribution (the “best route”) obviously allocates a local label based on
its SRGB. But now the destination protocol for redistribution also has to
allocate a local label based on its SRGB because it is expected that neighbors
of the destination protocol will use a label from the destination protocol
SRGB. So, you now have new requirements on the destination protocol and you
have consumed twice as many local labels. Your forwarding plane now has to deal
with the added complexity/cost – and your label manager has to manage more
label ranges.
[Pushpasis] I still don’t get what added complexity is involved here. How does
it matter if the label-manager has to manage 1 partition or N partitions? The
complexity involved is same. I agree that we will need added labels, but if you
see, we will need to enable SR on multiple protocols, only in the following
cases. I cannot foresee any other scenarios as of now.
— Migrating from IGP1to IGP2.
— Border routers in MSDC environment running BGP-LU + some IGP.

What I want to know is what do we gain for this added complexity? Thanx.
[Pushpasis]

  1.  Index-management in a one protocol can be completely independent of the
index-mamagement in another protocol even if the same router participates in
multiple protocols with different topologies.
  2.  Eases debuggability and avoids routing loops in case of migration
scenarios

Thanks
-Pushpasis

   Les