Pushpasis -

Your descriptions are not accurately reflecting what is required. This isn't
about multiple protocols contributing a next hop to the same route (which in
itself is not normal behavior and can potentially cause loops) - nor is it
about different protocols being the best route on different routers.

Let's take a simple example:

I have network A running IS-IS. It uses default SRGB (16000-23999) and has
assigned SIDs (0-100) to the prefixes it is advertising.

I have network B running OSPF. It also uses default SRGB (16000-23999) and has
also assigned SIDs (0 - 100) to the prefixes it is advertising.

To make things simple assume Network A and Network B have no IP address /subnet
conflicts. (If they do the conflicts  would have to be resolved first.)

Now you want to merge the two networks into one. And - at least at first - you
don't want to have to migrate routing protocols in either network nor have to
reassign SIDs for the existing prefixes. So, what do you do?

You connect the two networks via one or more ABRs. On these ABRs you run an
instance of both IS-IS and OSPF - enabled on the interfaces connected to
Network A and Network B respectively. And you redistribute routes between the
two protocols. But - you have a problem. The SID for Network B address
2.2.2.2/32 is 10 (for example). But this SID has already been assigned to
1.1.1.1/32 in Network A. So when IS-IS advertises 2.2.2.2/32 it cannot
advertise SID 10 - it has to advertise a different SID - let's say that it is
210. (There are various ways to assign that SID - we don't have to specify that
here.) But since traffic for 2.2.2.2/32 will be arriving at the ABR from
Network A routers with SID 210 there has to be an entry in the forwarding plane
for both SID 210 and SID 10 that will forward the traffic to the interface
specified by OSPF (which is the ONLY protocol installing a route in the RIB for
2.2.2.2/32 on the ABR). So not only does the forwarding plane have to support
this - but the destination protocol for redistribution (IS-IS in this example)
has to install the label associated w SID 210 NOT because it is installing a
path into the RIB - but simply because it is advertising a redistributed route.

Now, is all of this possible? Yes...but certainly is not a trivial issue to
address. And, for the operators, they have the complication of having multiple
SIDs, multiple labels, and possibly multiple SRGBs associated with a single
prefix.

Maybe all of this is still desirable i.e., the benefits of being able to merge
two networks w/o having to address SID conflicts is worth it - that is a
judgment call on which the operators need to provide some insight.

I am willing to allow - as Acee's post from last week mentioned - that this
might be a useful thing - but let's not  make the mistake of treating this as a
simple case - nor as the way that is most desirable to run networks.

   Les