Bruno -

After rereading your post, I think I missed part of what you were trying to say.

Topology was introduced because it is expected (indeed even REQUIRED) that the
same prefix would have a different SID in different topologies. This is why for
the purposes of determining "prefix conflict" (different SIDs for the same
prefix) only entries for the same topology (and algorithm) are compared.
However, for the purposes of determining "SID conflicts" (different entries in
the database using the same SID) we MUST compare entries in all topologies
since the label database on a router is a shared resource. This leads to the
following case:

VPN1:
(192.0.2.1/32, 100, 1, 1, 0)

VPN2:
(192.0.2.1/32, 100, 1, 2, 0)

Under the current preference rule defined in the draft these two entries are
considered "identical" - but in fact they are not since they are different
topologies (i.e. different FECs). However, since (as I think Robert was
pointing out in his recent email) topology ids/VPN IDs are not global in scope
they cannot be used as a tie breaker (nor does the draft suggest that should
be). This leads to the following amendment to the preference rule (including
some of your suggested changes):

1.  Smaller range wins
2.  IPv6 entry wins over IPv4 entry
3.  Longer prefix length wins
4. Smaller algorithm wins
5.  Smaller starting address (considered as an unsigned integer
       value) wins
6.  Smaller starting SID wins
7. If topology IDs are NOT identical both entries MUST be ignored

The additional rule (#7) is applied only when doing SID conflicts as prefix
conflicts are limited to the entries  in a single topology. And since we cannot
use the topology ID as a tie-breaker because the identifier has only local
scope both entries MUST be ignored.

As to your statement below that:

" Note that it would probably be better for the preference algo to put the SID
tie-brake before the prefix tie-break as with the prefix tie-break, we suffer
from the conflict twice (Prefix - SID mapping, then SID- prefix mapping) which
increase the diversity and hence the chance of not finding a valid entry."

I disagree. Prefix conflicts MUST be determined first - otherwise we risk
ignoring an entry in another topology because it has a SID conflict with an
entry in another topology which will be ignored based on prefix conflict - as
the example I presented below demonstrates.

Are we closer to agreement now?

   Les