Les,

Please see inline [Bruno]

From: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) [mailto:ginsb...@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:08 AM
To: DECRAENE Bruno IMT/OLN
Cc: spring@ietf.org<mailto:spring@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-spring-conflict-resolution - Policy

Bruno -

Consider the following simple case:

Entry #1: (PFX, 1.1.1.1/32, 100, 1, 0,0)
Entry #2: (SRMS, 1.1.1.1/32, 200, 10, 0,0)
Entry #3: (SRMS, 2.2.2.2/32, 200, 10. 0, 0)

There is a misconfiguration here, but we don't know what was really intended. A
few (of many) possibilities:

ERROR #1:   Entry #2 should have been: (SRMS, 1.1.1.1/32, 100, 10, 0,0)
!Starting SID error
ERROR #2:  Entry #2 should have been: (SRMS, 2.2.2.2/32, 200, 10, 0,0)
!Starting prefix error

The draft defines two candidate preference rules which could be applied:

Quarantine
----------------
As we evaluate prefix conflicts first, we compare Entry #1 and Entry #2 and
choose Entry #1 the winner (source is PFX). Entry #2 is then not used
(quarantined) and the set of active entries is:

Entry #1: (PFX, 1.1.1.1/32, 100, 1, 0,0)
Entry #3: (SRMS, 2.2.2.2/32, 200, 10. 0, 0)

Ignore Conflict Only
-------------------------
In this case we split Entry #2 into two derived entries:

Entry #2A: (SRMS, 1.1.1.1/32, 200, 1, 0,0)
Entry #2B: (SRMS, 1.1.1.2/32, 201, 9, 0,0)

Entry 2A is then ignored and we then have to evaluate SID conflicts between the
derived entry 2B and Entry #3.  For this we have to split Entry 3 into two
derived entries:

Entry #3A: (SRMS, 2.2.2.2/32, 200, 1. 0, 0)
Entry #3B: (SRMS, 2.2.2.3/32, 201, 9. 0, 0)

Entry 2B wins over entry 3B since it has a smaller range.

Active entries are then:
Entry #1: (PFX, 1.1.1.1/32, 100, 1, 0,0)
Entry #2B: (SRMS, 1.1.1.2/32, 201, 9, 0,0)
Entry #3A: (SRMS, 2.2.2.2/32, 200, 1. 0, 0)

Note that in this example both preference rules result in 11 destinations
having non-conflicting SIDs.
[Bruno] Yes. The important part is « in this example ». Now do we agree that in
average, Quarantine will result in dropping more destinations than Ignore
conflict only?

 Now, which of these maximizes delivery of traffic? The answer to that depends
upon the type of configuration error that was made.
If Error #1 was made, there is no way to differentiate the two preference rules.
However, if Error #2 was made, then Quarantine is clearly better because the
destinations 1.1.1.2 - 1.1.1.10 were never intended to have assigned SIDs and
may not even exist as destinations in the network, yet "Ignore Conflict Only"
favors those prefixes.

The point I am trying to make is that it is incorrect to say "If we maximize
the number of advertised entries which we use we will always do a better job of
delivering traffic." This example illustrates that this isn't always true.
[Bruno] OK. Clearly, we can find an example where an algorithm is better than
the other. After all, we all agree that there has been a configuration error.
There are 2 points:

a)      how many destination you keep using

b)      in case of conflict which of the entries you select

I agree that "b" is more or less random and hence there are many cases where
we'll pick the wrong one. Yet, we try to make reasonable choices. That the
point of discussing the preference algorithm (3.2.4). (Although it's very easy
to argue that we can make the wrong choice, I don't feel that's a reason not to
try discussing it and make choice. e.g. "PFX source wins over SRMS source" is
one: we give preference to SR nodes rather than LDP nodes.

Regarding a, I feel that maximizing the number of destinations kept, is likely
to give the best result in average. I don't have a proof, but it feel like
playing loto: even if each choice is random ("b"), the more you try ("a") the
better your chances.

A few more comments inline.