From: Robert Raszuk <rras...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:18 AM
To: Ron Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net>
Cc: Darren Dukes (ddukes) <ddu...@cisco.com>; Fernando Gont
<fg...@si6networks.com>; spring@ietf.org; 6...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spring] Question about SRv6 Insert function

Ron,

> They remind us that draft-ietf-spring-network-programming are far from
> maturity.

To me it actually highlights something quite contrary. It is that some folks
are pretty far from appreciating or even grasping the value of the proposal.

In your other note you have extensively elaborated well on how to effectively
kill innovation in IETF. If we would be following your advice there would be
almost non documents which build on former work and update former work..

But most importantly documenting something does not force anyone to actually
use it if they choose so. This entire smoke about header insertion from what I
have been told has some technical concerns about real source awareness about
say MTU issues. Well for one if I am doing insertion in my network I better
make sure I do not drop the packet based on the MTU. It is so basic ... of
course I must clean up when I fwd the packet to other domain but this is basic
network hygiene.

In the same time folks are happy to encap + add EHs, DOs etc ... on the grounds
that src of the encap will be in the packet. Is this sufficient .. even if ICMP
is sent to such src (domian ingress) I bet such domain ingress will not notify
the original packet src anyway. And with encap the packet gets much bigger
anyway.

But I was not part of v6 creators and I think I will keep it that way based on
that little thread we had here :)

Best,
R.

Juniper Business Use Only