From: Mark Smith <markzzzsm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:31 PM
To: Bob Hinden <bob.hin...@gmail.com>
Cc: Ron Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net>; SPRING WG <spring@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [spring] SRv6 Network Programming and Link Local Source Addresses

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, 08:35 Bob Hinden,
<bob.hin...@gmail.com<mailto:bob.hin...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Ron,

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 12:36 PM, Ron Bonica
> <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
> wrote:
>
> Pablo,
>

> Consider the packet (SA,DA) (S3, S2, S1; SL) where:
>

>       * SA is link-local (fe80)
>       * DA, S3, S2, and S1 are all END.X
>

> Section 4.2 suggests that this packet will be delivered over multiple hops to
> its destination, regardless of its link-local source address.

I would think that RFC2460 Section 2.5.6. "Link-Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"
covers this:

   Link-Local addresses are for use on a single link.  Link-Local
   addresses have the following format:

   |   10     |
   |  bits    |         54 bits         |          64 bits           |
   +----------+-------------------------+----------------------------+
   |1111111010|           0             |       interface ID         |
   +----------+-------------------------+----------------------------+

   Link-Local addresses are designed to be used for addressing on a
   single link for purposes such as automatic address configuration,
   neighbor discovery, or when no routers are present.

   Routers must not forward any packets with Link-Local source or
   destination addresses to other links.

I think that's RFC4291.

RFC4007, "IPv6 Scoped Address Architecture" does too, more generally and
probably more formally, in particular section 9, "Forwarding".

Regards,
Mark.

Bob