Bob,

>>I was thinking that unless network programming has text that might cause one
>>to think it overrides the defined behavior from rfc4291 for link-local
>>addresses, I am not sure it has to be mentioned.
I agree with this. I'd rather not add in net-pgm because If we were to start
adding texts like this, we will need to be exhaustive and address not just this
case but perhaps all other invalid cases (e.g martian addresses).

Rgds
--
Kamran

On 2019-12-01, 5:56 PM, "spring on behalf of Bob Hinden"
<spring-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of bob.hin...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Ron,

    > On Dec 1, 2019, at 2:47 PM, Ron Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net> wrote:
    >
    > Mark, Bob,
    >
    > Yes, I agree that routers should not forward packets with link local
source addresses.

    or Destination addresses.

    > Pablo,
    >
    > Maybe we should update section 4.2 of the network programming draft to
reflect this?

    I was thinking that unless network programming has text that might cause
one to think it overrides the defined behavior from rfc4291 for link-local
addresses, I am not sure it has to be mentioned.

    Bob

    >                                                                  Ron

Addresses

<rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

    > > Pablo,
    > >

    > > Consider the packet (SA,DA) (S3, S2, S1; SL) where:
    > >

    > >       • SA is link-local (fe80)
    > >       • DA, S3, S2, and S1 are all END.X
    > >

    > > Section 4.2 suggests that this packet will be delivered over multiple
hops to its destination, regardless of its link-local source address.

    > I would think that RFC2460 Section 2.5.6. "Link-Local IPv6 Unicast
Addresses” covers this:

    >    Link-Local addresses are for use on a single link.  Link-Local
    >    addresses have the following format:
    >
    >    |   10     |
    >    |  bits    |         54 bits         |          64 bits           |
    >    +----------+-------------------------+----------------------------+
    >    |1111111010|           0             |       interface ID         |
    >
    >    Link-Local addresses are designed to be used for addressing on a
    >    single link for purposes such as automatic address configuration,
    >    neighbor discovery, or when no routers are present.
    >
    >    Routers must not forward any packets with Link-Local source or
    >    destination addresses to other links.
    >
    > I think that's RFC4291.
    >
    > RFC4007, "IPv6 Scoped Address Architecture" does too, more generally and
probably more formally, in particular section 9, "Forwarding".