I honestly would like to understand if this discussion about fixing the
wording (e.g. use a more abstract notion of interface / link), or if there
are cases where things (may) break. I was hoping someone could point to
examples?

As pointed out by Robert not all types of interfaces used today fit the
definitions, even loopback doesn't match nicely

/Eduard