On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 1:38 AM Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.edu...@huawei.com>
wrote:

> Ø By contrast, a Compressed SID Container (i.e., the 128-bit entity that
is copied into the IPv6 Destination Address field) represents an entire SR
Path. Specifically, it represents *many* functions that reside on *many*
nodes

> But CSID is not an IP address, right? Why IP address rules should be
applicable to CSID?

Eduard,

If the protocol is copying the CSI into the IPv6 Destination address the
CSI MUST be an IP address because the Destination Address field in an IPv6
packet *contains* an IPv6 address. Overloading fields in the IPv6 header
with other data would be non-conformant with the IPv6 standard (not just
addresses, see the several attempts to structure flow label for instance).

Frankly, this is one thing that I have found troubling with SrRv6.
Sometimes it is portrayed as an alternative, shadow protocol to IPv6 that
just happens to use the IPv6 protocol format for convenience instead of
creating a new L3 protocol for its purposes. The rationalization for this
seems to be that SRv6 is confined to limited domains, and within a limited
domain we can safely redefine standard protocols in arbitrary ways-- note,
there is no consensus that that philosophy is acceptable.

Tom

the function that resides in a node? From a routing / forwarding point of
view the group of functions is more similar to a network (represented by a
prefix, rather than a single address), but still.

> [RB] In RFC 8986, a classic SRv6 SID represents a *single* function that
resides on a *single* node. If you like, you can even say that represents a
*single* interface to a *single* function that resides on a *single* node.

> By contrast, a Compressed SID Container (i.e., the 128-bit entity that is
copied into the IPv6 Destination Address field) represents an entire SR
Path. Specifically, it represents *many* functions that reside on *many*
nodes

> For my understanding, apart from that the (definition of) SID may not be
aligned with the literal text in below RFCs, what is the real problem? Are
there any protocols that specifically rely on this definition of an IPv6
address?

> [RB] We don’t know if there are any protocols that rely on this
definition of the IPv6 address. And if we don’t update RFC 4291 before
violating it, we don’t know if anybody might write such an application in
the future.

                          Ron