Good Morning to All,

I am looking for some assistance with a residential sprinkler project and
plan evaluation I am doing.  The project is a series of attached single
family dwellings, wood framed, that are being suppressed using the 1999
edition of NFPA 13R.  The project is using a combination of horizontal
sidewall and pendant heads.

There is one particular area of the home that has me a bit concerned from a
design standpoint.  The family room on the first floor is open and rises
approx. 18 feet above to an open walkway / bridge outside the second floor
master suite.  If you could picture a two-story atrium in a residence, thats
the basic situation.  The designer is calling for two sidewall mounted heads
along the larger room wall just below the ceiling level.  What this really
means is discharging water would have to fall +- 18 feet to reach the
contents burning in the family room below. I would suspect the rising heat
plume would consume the falling droplets and anything hitting the vertical
surfaces would also convert to steam during the 18 foot descent.

I believe my question really becomes a matter of the listing standard and
design limitations of residential heads.  Is this situation outside of the
listing standard (UL1626)?  How does the list feel about unusually high
ceilings in 13R systems and has anyone dealt with this in their past
experiences ?


Thank you.

Dave Phelan
An AHJ in New Jersey

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to