Ladies/Gentlemen:
I can recall the early to mid-60's my father talking about sprinklers in
freezers/coolers - he was on the daywork desk at Grinnell OF THE PACIFIC (Los
Angeles). Sprinklers activating in these 'boxes' were not an uncommon
"emergency"
call. Someone came up with the idea to put 212 F. sprinklers in the
freezers/coolers - and the emergency calls eventually tapered off. I know of no
reference in NFPA-13 that addresses the temperature ratings of sprinklers in
walk-in
feezers/coolers.
People/Clients still ask me 'why in the world' would you put sprinklers in
walk-in coolers/freezers (or, for that matter, swimming pool areas) - my
response is an inspection I did in a hotel restaurant several years ago that
was no
longer in business. Inside the (rather large) coolers and freezers, I found
several rolls of (rolled up) carpets. And, yes, there were sprinklers in the
boxes. When not in service, these areas make great storage rooms!
I believe the sprinkler activation issue in freezers/coolers is that the
cooling equipment can malfunction and overheat - with no fire in the box - but
the
temperature can rise in these insulated "rooms" and trigger the 165 F.
sprinklers. I have designed, and specified, 200 F. (Q.R.) sprinklers for these
applications for a number of years.
Regards to all...
Jerry D. Watts, SFPE*
ACCENT FIRE ENGINEERING INT'L. Ltd.
Santa Fe/Albuquerque San Diego, CA Seattle, WA Phoenix, AZ
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(800) 503.1961
web: www.accentfire.com
*Society of Fire Protection Engineers and Rio Grande Chapter (NM)
Chapter/SFPE
**************
Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
favorites at AOL Food.
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)